Smokey Bear and Other Neat Ideas

These are notes from my field work at the Museum of Natural Science in Jackson, MS and I wanted to share them.

Date: 19 February 2010
Time: 9:45am to 12:00am

I was running late and decided not to risk it with my bike. Since I went to the Legislator reception the night before, I felt it was okay for me to arrive later. Its interesting and different from school and the normality of a job, to stay until 8:00pm the night before and then arrive back the next morning.

Smokey Bear
Also while wearing a bear costume to prevent the idea of forest fires twice in 24 hours is different from my usual routine. Immediately upon arriving, I notify the education director that no, I am here and she does not have to wear the bear suit. She is thoroughly relieved, and excited I am here for this appearance. As Smokey Bear, I am not allowed to dance, talk or laugh. Obviously, this is difficult for me. Not only do I typically use these actions, I am wearing a bear costume and then so feel more inclined to act silly. While I like to poke fun at this idea, I am happy I can serve the museum in this way.

Smokey Bear (NOT Smokey THE Bear, as we learned in his directions) carries different implications for different people:
  • generational differences, based on the knowledge of what he originally represented as a icon and then turning into a modern day furry Mikey Mouse in exhibits.
  • He originated in 1950 with an ad campaign by the Forestry Service. There was a bear in New Mexico who survived a forest fire and became famous through different media outlets. He lived afterward at the National Zoo in Washington, DC.
  • I am not sure younger children actually know who he is, but what to touch, pet, and crawl into the lap of a large,friendly looking bear anyhow. I felt very strange during the lap sitting part but that was quickly stopped.
  • Should the education be about camping in general and not to burn down the forest while you are there? The exhibit focuses on this, so Smokey may not be as large of a focal point of the education as he is a large attraction for the youngsters. I wonder what the Forestry Department (the creator and “owner”) thinks about Smokey? Do they see his influence diminishing as well as the content of his message needing to change?
  • As well, with a changing perception of forest fire among environmentalist and others, while human caused fires are not good, we are learning the forest needs a good burning to be more healthy. Is this program preventing this idea from being understood?
  • as well, in a youth culture with a growing use of cannabis and other drugs, what are the implications of the word “Smokey” to them, although the understanding of Smokey Bear may be more ingrained than I realize.

The Exhibit:

The exhibit, Home Sweet Home, features different multilayered areas. Its a traveling exhibit the museum had to bid to show. A children’s museum created the exhibit and then “rents” it out to other museums to use. Its one of the most inspiring and creative spaces I have encountered. While this exhibit is geared toward elementary aged children, the things adults can learn from interacting with the exhibit are good as well. I have trouble describing the exhibit as a whole because there are so many pieces. I wish to take pictures the next time I visit.

There are two major parts. One is the in your backyard and home part. The exhibit transitions to the Forestry Department part with a instructional river and boat area. The Forestry Department area has a model forestry field post and model camping area. The exhibit moves from a house (area that would exists around the viewers typically) to a model forest area (area for viewers less likely to be around). People can enter the exhibit at either of these areas. The different activities teach the visitors everything from how to plant saplings, to how precipitation works and how to use rain water in a garden.

I am absolutely amazing at the creativity of the exhibit makers. I am very inspired about how they created a list of core ideas needed to be included and were able to create these ideas into interactive areas. I would like to focus the scope of my ethnography on the exhibit, what it means and how it educates. The education director of the Museum, has undergraduate education in anthropology and her graduate education in environmental interpretation. Many of the workers of the museum are able to think about how to take a concept and explain it to a diverse age of visitors. I fine this widely fascinating. Especially the idea of Smokey, which I wrote about earlier.

Further Thoughts:
So I made a few connections about this type of thinking. I thought about entering the exhibit without knowing what it was trying to achieve and not having a previously knowledge base of the material shared. What would it teach me?

I thought about meeting a friend recently who sold rain barrels he made himself. Would this exhibit teach me not only why a rain barrel in a garden would be helpful but also how I could make one on my own? I think children currently in elementary school, are learning many things like this and the next step may be to find a way to teach this line of thinking, of how to create things ourselves.

My friend Andy, takes large plastic jugs from the Pepsi plant in Clinton (local, reused material). He gets these for free and after a few minor changes and a good cleaning is able to sell these to others for their own use. I think his thinking through this is astounding and something others should be able to learn and repeat.

I think a lot of sustainable practices is about creative and critical thinking. I think this exhibit while sharing information on sustainability also increases levels of critical thinking. I want to think more about why and picture explanations of different exhibits.

04 March 2010

Post a Comment

LIVE OAK LEAVES Archive

Powered by Blogger.